1/4/12

{resolutions}



I don't know about you but I am kind of wary of the term New Year's Resolution. I have a few resolutions that came to mind 01/01/2012, but I don't think that just because it is a new year, one should hope that everything is going to be different. I like to be a little realistic. I do have hope in a New Year, everything seems fresh and full of promise but too often that wears off very soon.


What about the term, New Life Resolution? The kind of resolution that you make on any day of the year, to make your life better, etc. I have been working on that for the last few months or so and find it to work better for me for right now. It is about making a daily decision to do the things you don't want to do. That's part of it, at least.


Lately, I have been very protective of my time. I found that I said yes way too quickly, and didn't listen to the voice in my head shouting out these realities: I really don't have time, or I won't be making money on that order, or you already have a committment every night this week, what are you thinking? Also, I read a great post from Melody Ross about the noise that we allow in our lives. I have tried to cut some of that out. I am not all the way there, but I am getting there. At the risk of sounding selfish, this is just what I need to do right now.


I also think it is dangerous to make time for people out of obligation--- again at the risk of sounding horrible, I find that it is really important to nourish the relationships in my life that are important to me, not the ones I feel obligated to. I find that I have much more peace in my heart, my head and my schedule when doing this. A great article also from Melody Ross about that is found here.


So, bring it on 2012 but I started making a few resolutions before you came along!

3 comments:

fernandflora said...

Bravo! I'm with ya - not exactly making hard and fast resolutions - but trying to be more thoughtful about my life and cutting out the clutter and simplifying things! Good post. Good. Good.

Destiny said...

Good for you! I'm in the same boat...I ALWAYS say "yes" to everyone who needs help, volunteer work, etc. I just recently said "no, I'm sorry I can't." for the first time and though I DID feel a bit guilty (for whatever reason), it felt really good after I said it! I was very proud...I'll continue to work on that this year. Happy New Year and I love the idea of New Life Resolutions : )

DREAMS ON 34th STREET ~ French Bread & Family said...

Kara! (love that name)
Pleased to meet you!
Thanks for visiting 34th street!
~Lynne
[w/L]