12/8/11

{art night: oranges, honey & wine}

I have a new piece of art hanging on my walls.... painted by moi!






Recently I had the pleasure of attending a mixed media class with artist Lizzie Mara. I have had the pleasure of knowing Lizzie for about 5 years now and she is a Denver treasure. I went to her home for a mixed media class and had so much fun! I learned so much too! The painting above "Miel" {French for honey} is what I came up with at the end and it was so unexpected. Lizzie enouraged me to be more loose and whimsical. I haven't always felt super comfortable with paint as I am with pencil or a pen. But I think I am catching on, thanks to Lizzie.

We munched on papaya chips from Trader Joes, fruit leather, Clementine oranges, and chocolate and drank red wine. I was so focused on my piece that I barely had anything to drink! Of course the set up was all so lovely. Lizzie puts a lot of love into things like this.



1. Lizzie had us do some sketches and brainstorming with words before we started. She also asked us to bring scaps of paper and other little pieces we might want to include in our piece. I have been preparing for this kind of thing for years and had plenty of options to bring to the table!


2. Whenever I had painted before I didn't do layers and background colors so I wasn't used to adding texture and color in the background to build on as I painted. this is what I started off with. I penciled in graphite honeycombs to add texture.


3. I added in a golden yellow and a mint green- I didn't picture the mint green in the piece at first but it was something I added in after another class mate mixed up the color for their piece. I added in pieces of vintage book paper, raffle tickets, sheet music and lace doilies for the leaves of my wreath. My beehive came together before my eyes and it was so fun to see it come to life, with the help of Lizzie.


When I got home I added a little {maybe more like alot} of white ink to piece to finish it off. I love the finished product. Lizzie sent me home with a ribbon to trim my piece with, which I will add when I have some time. This class was a highlight to my year and I want to make more pieces now! It was so much fun and so great to create just for the sake of creating.


A few surprises to me:


1. I didn't expect my piece to be so whimsical at the end.


2. I didn't expect there to be so much color in my piece- honey, amber, chocolate, teal and mint all made surprise appearances that I didn't plan when I started.


3. Good things hppen when you let go and breathe. Yes they do.




Looking back at it now, I might have used a little less white ink to finish it off but what is done, is done. I still love the piece.




thanks Lizzie! ***As a side note, Lizzie has a company called Treat Designs. I encourage you to add follow her company on Facebook. She has many darling things coming out from her darling company.

4 comments:

Lizzie Mara said...

Wow! I adore seeing your finished work + seeing how you were able to capture each step! You are fabulous, Kara! What a brilliant piece. Your composition, colors and texture are so deep. Thank you for all the lovely words + encouragement for Treat Design Co, too! We are so excited to launch this line!
XO,
Lizzie

tjahnke said...

Kara...I LOVE the way your piece turned out!! It's beautiful and organic and it evolved with so much depth! I was sad to miss you last night at the class...I'll look forward to seeing you at the next Lizzie adventure.

Best wishes,
Tanya

fernandflora said...

So beautiful. And I loved reading about your artist process throughout the experience. Congrats on expanding your artistic horizon!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Kara! I love the colors and how it all turned out. By the way, I love your original drawing as well!
Have a great weekend.

Kimberly S.