2/18/11

{where would i be without my sister?}

this reminds me of my sister...
the dancing girl because she and her daughters dance.
the typewriter for our many forms of correspondence.
the desk vignette for her sense of design.
my sister Kimberly and I at a wedding in chicago

where would I be
without my sister?

a friend of mine who is blessed with 3 sisters were discussing the impact of our sisters. One of the things we discussed was that if we were doing something that was questionable, silly or obnoxious (like on our blog, for example), that our sisters would call us out on it. Thank goodness for that! Our sisters keep us in line.
about my sister:
my poor sister! when I was young I would always steal her clothes. Once I bought an almost identical columbia jacket to one that she already owned. What can I say? I admired her style!
my sister helped me start my company... she hosted my first trunk show for me when she was 8 months pregnant with twins. she is a constant source of amazing design and marketing ideas for me.
She helped shape my love for design. She was in the one in college that helped me redo my bedroom based off of the Starry Night painting by Van Gogh. She introduced me to Shabby Chic and Rachel Ashwell and Anthropoligie long before they were so well known.
She helped me appreciate beautiful furniture and has given me some amazing pieces that are among my favorite items in my house. Last year she and I embarked on a kitchen make over during one of her visits.... we also managed to shop {a lot} and have a lovely brunch during that 24 hour period.
She is also an amazing mom to four of my favorite people in the world.

All in all, I don't know where I would be without my sister. I don't think I would be who I am today without her influence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kara. Thanks for the kind words. I was just thinking tonight how much I love telling you about what my kids do and how much I would miss you if you weren't around to be my sister! I love you! See you soon~ Kimberly S.
ps you are worth about three sisters to me! Thanks for all you do and how much fun and encouragement you have given me along the way.

fernandflora said...

Oh this is just lovely. I love all the tid bits and stories. makes me want to do a post on my sisters!

Terra said...

Sweet words for your sister.